Saturday, April 3, 2010

Breaking away, Brooklyn style...

My daughter's boyfriend stayed with us overnight this weekend so he could awaken at 4:30 a.m. for a 6:30 a.m. bicycle race in Prospect Park. You read that right -- 4:30 A.M.!! I guess you could say he's a fairly passionate biker.

When I woke up at 7 a.m., i figured what the hey, I'll take the short walk to the park to snap some photos of him. Except that I had no idea what his bike uniform looked like, and had the slight problem of the racers zooming by me almost before I could focus.

I pushed on and my first attempts were beautiful (in a '60s LSD way) but pathetic. Here's one of those photos:

Obviously, I had to do something about the shutter speed but the bikes were zooming around the park so quickly that I was afraid I'd miss the whole race if I began fiddling with the settings. So I elected to chose a programmed setting, something I usually do not do. What's the point of having an SLR camera if you point and shoot? But I rationalized that I had never taken sports photographs before so I swallowed my pride and pushed on. Besides, did I mention it was 7 a.m. and I hadn't had any coffee?

The sports setting was much better and did the trick. Now if only I knew what the boyfriend was wearing. But I didn't so I snapped madly for 30 minutes and gave up. Surely I got a photo of him, right? Well it turns out I got exactly two photos out of 185 pictures taken!! Not a great batting average but he was happy. So here's a photo of Josh in the middle of the frame wearing all black with a white helmet.


No comments:

Post a Comment